Why We Adore Hungary
Hungary is a beautiful and budget-friendly destination that offers a variety of experiences for travelers. From exploring the capital city of Budapest, to discovering the charming countryside, there is something for everyone in Hungary. With its rich history, delicious cuisine, and stunning architecture, Hungary is a must-visit for anyone looking for a memorable trip.
As you plan your trip to Hungary, be sure to consider the best times to visit, as well as the top places to explore. From the thermal baths of Budapest to the picturesque castles of the countryside, there are many options for sightseeing and adventure. And with practical travel tips and recommendations, you can make the most of your time in Hungary.
Whether you are looking to relax and unwind or explore and discover, Hungary has something to offer. So why wait? Start planning your trip to Hungary today!
Best of Hungary🏙️ Destinations
Hungary is a country that offers a wide range of experiences for travelers, from its vibrant capital city of Budapest to its stunning natural landscapes. Some of the top places to visit in Hungary include:
Budapest – The capital city of Hungary
The capital city of Hungary is a must-visit for anyone traveling to the country. With its rich history, stunning architecture, and delicious cuisine, there is something for everyone in Budapest.
Budapest, the capital city of Hungary, is a vibrant and exciting destination that offers something for everyone. With its stunning architecture, rich history, and delicious cuisine, it is a must-visit for anyone traveling to Hungary. From exploring the historic castles and thermal baths to sampling the local wine and cuisine, there is always something to see and do in Budapest.
Lake Balaton – Located in western Hungary
Located in western Hungary, Lake Balaton is the largest lake in Central Europe and is a popular destination for swimming, sunbathing, and water sports. Surrounded by stunning natural beauty, the lake is a great place to relax and unwind. There are numerous recreational activities available at Lake Balaton, including boating, fishing, and hiking. The lake is also home to several charming villages and towns, making it a great place to explore and discover local culture and traditions.
Eger – A charming city located in northern Hungary
Eger, a charming city located in northern Hungary, is known for its historic castle, thermal baths, and delicious wine. The city is surrounded by vineyards and is home to several thermal baths, making it a great destination for wine lovers and those looking to relax and rejuvenate.
Eger is a city with a rich history, with its historic castle and buildings dating back to the Middle Ages. Visitors can explore the castle and learn about the city’s past, as well as visit the nearby thermal baths, which are known for their healing properties. In addition to its cultural attractions, Eger is also a great place to sample the local wine, with its numerous vineyards and wine cellars.
Whether you are looking to relax and unwind or explore and discover, Eger has something to offer. From its charming squares and streets to its stunning natural surroundings, there is always something to see and do in Eger.
Pécs – Located in the south of Hungary
Pécs, located in the south of Hungary, is a city with a rich cultural heritage and is home to several UNESCO World Heritage sites. The city is known for its vibrant arts scene and is home to several museums and galleries, including the Zsolnay Museum, which showcases the famous Zsolnay ceramics. In addition to its cultural attractions, Pécs is also home to several thermal baths, which are popular for their healing properties and are a great place to relax and rejuvenate.
Pécs is a city that has something for everyone, with its rich history, stunning architecture, and vibrant arts scene. From exploring the historic squares and churches to sampling the local cuisine and wine, there is always something to see and do in Pécs. The city is also a great base for exploring the surrounding region, with its charming villages, beautiful natural landscapes, and rich cultural traditions.
Miskolc – Located in the north-east of Hungary
Miskolc, located in the north-east of Hungary, is a city with a rich industrial history and is home to several natural hot springs. The city is surrounded by picturesque forests and is a great destination for nature lovers and those looking to relax and rejuvenate.
Miskolc is home to several thermal baths, which are known for their healing properties and are a popular destination for tourists and locals alike. In addition to its thermal baths, Miskolc is also home to several cultural attractions, including the Miskolc-Tapolca Cave Bath, a unique underground thermal bath set in a natural cave.
Whether you are looking to relax and unwind or explore and discover, Miskolc has something to offer. From its charming squares and streets to its stunning natural surroundings, there is always something to see and do in Miskolc.
✨ Things you should Do
“There are many fantastic things to do in Hungary, whether you’re interested in history, gastronomy, adventure, landscape, or nightlife. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Visiting the castle district in Budapest: The castle district in Budapest is a must-visit, with its stunning architecture, rich history, and beautiful views.
- Tasting the local cuisine: Hungary is known for its delicious food, including dishes such as goulash and strudel. Be sure to try some of the local specialties during your trip.
- Relax in thermal baths, like the Széchenyi Thermal Bath.
- Explore the Danube Bend and its charming towns and castles.
- Discover the charming villages and towns in the Hungarian countryside.
⚠️ Hungary Travel Advice
When is the best time to visit Hungary (and when should you avoid going!)
Hungary is a country with a diverse range of climates and weather patterns, making it a great destination to visit at any time of year. The summer months are warm and sunny, with temperatures averaging in the mid-70s to low-80s Fahrenheit. The shoulder seasons of spring and fall offer mild temperatures and fewer crowds, making them a great time to visit. Winter in Hungary can be cold and snowy, with temperatures averaging in the mid-30s to low-40s Fahrenheit.
The best time to visit Hungary depends on your interests and what you hope to get out of your trip. If you’re looking for warm weather and beach activities, the summer months are a great time to visit. If you prefer milder temperatures and fewer crowds, the shoulder seasons of spring and fall are a good option. For those who enjoy skiing and winter sports, the colder months are a great time to visit.
No matter when you choose to visit Hungary, there is always something to see and do. From exploring the vibrant capital city of Budapest to discovering the charming villages and towns in the countryside, there is always something to see and do in Hungary.
👉 Tips & Things to Know
- 🏛️ – Check Museum Hours – Many museums in Hungary have limited hours or are only open during certain seasons.
- 🚶♀️ – Explore on Foot – Hungary’s cities, especially Budapest, have charming streets and hidden gems. Take time to wander and explore.
- 🍴 – Try Local Cuisine – Hungary has delicious, hearty cuisine including goulash and strudel.
- ⛰️ – Enjoy the Great Outdoors – Hungary has stunning natural landscapes, including the Danube Bend, Mátra Mountains, and Bükk Mountains. Explore these areas and enjoy outdoor activities.
- 💰 – Tipping in Hungary – Tipping is not standard, but a small tip (10-15%) for exceptional service is appreciated.
🧳 What to Pack
- 🌂 – Rain Jacket – Hungary can have unpredictable weather, so bring a rain jacket in case of rain.
- 👜 – Small Backpack – A small backpack can be convenient for carrying essentials during your travels in Hungary.
- 🚴♀️ – Bike – Hungary has some great bike paths and trails, especially in and around Budapest. Consider bringing a bike or renting one locally.
- 🗺️ – Map or Guidebook – A map or guidebook can be helpful for finding your way around and learning more about the local area.
- 💰 – Local Currency – While many places in Hungary accept credit cards, it’s a good idea to have some local currency (Hungarian forint) on hand for smaller purchases or in case of an emergency.
💵 Budgeting & Money
Major establishments in major cities accept debit/credit cards. However, if you plan on visiting Hungary’s rural areas, make sure to have sufficient cash 💳.
Know the Exchange Rate – Hungary’s currency is the Hungarian forint. It’s a good idea to know the current exchange rate before your trip so you can budget and make financial decisions while traveling 💵.
Save on Accommodations – Hungary has a wide range of accommodation options, from hotels to vacation rentals. Consider staying in a vacation rental or Airbnb to save on costs 💰.
Shop Locally – Hungary has some great local markets and shops where you can find unique souvenirs and gifts. Consider supporting local businesses and saving money by shopping locally 🛒.
📈 Info & Stats
- Population – Hungary has a population of approximately 9.8 million people.
- Capital – Budapest.
- Currency – forint ($1 = ~378.42)
- Language – Hungarian (Understands English)